Fall weather was moving in on the Midwest, and I got a craving for Chili! I decided to make some Sweet Potato Chili and throw in some Essential Oils to help flavor it up a bit! Have you cooked with Essential Oils before? I use Young Living Essential Oils, and they have quite a few amazing oils that are safe to ingest. For this recipe I added Thyme and Black Pepper Essential Oils.
Here’s the breakdown…
- 1 sweet yellow onion
- 2 poblano peppers (you could use different peppers, these were just fresh from my garden)
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground turkey
I cooked these 3 things together in a skillet.
In the crock pot I put in…
- 4 tomatoes from my garden
- 1-28oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2-15oz. cans black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1-15oz. can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. red cayenne pepper
- 3 drops Thyme Essential Oil
- 3-4 drops Black Pepper Essential Oil
Then I added the cooked meat, onions, and peppers to the crock pot. I simmered this in the crock pot on high for 1 hour, then on low for about 3 hours. (until it was time to eat dinner)
It was REALLY good! My chili is different almost every time I make it. The above measurements are mere suggestions because I didn’t actually measure any spices, I just guess and throw it in! I don’t think I’ve made a bad pot of chili yet!
What’s something unique that you put in your chili to make it special? A trademark spice or ingredient? Share with us! 🙂